03 February 2010

Laundry Days

You know those days when you have an entire list of things that need to be done? Those days when you're wearing miss-matched socks or granny panties because you just don't have one more piece of clean clothing? And it's you're day off but there are errands to do. Why would you want to spend your day off buying milk and cereal and going to the post office? Don't get me wrong, I am truly in love with grocery shopping, and I enjoy the scent of freshly laundered clothing, but I don't want to spend my day off catching up on "chores" I was too tired to finish (or even start?) on work days.

I'm always looking forward to a day off so I can "get things done" and then when it comes down to it, I'd rather get dinner with co-workers or see Avatar with a girl I haven't seen in forever. Isn't that how we all are, though? How do other people manage it? How does my mom manage to work ten hour days and still cook dinner and do the dishes and fall asleep watching Dr. Oz? I work one full shift and don't have the energy or drive to do anything else. How am I suppose to inspire myself when I just want to take a nap? Of course, it's too late at 5:30 to nap if I ever want to sleep that night. But what else am I do to?

I write pages and pages of lists and articles in my Moleskine while I'm at work. Yet somehow I can't translate those entries into something real or tangible. I miss writing. I miss the characters and the words and the feelings. And you know what? I'm not going to stop missing it until I do something about it. How simple does that sound, really? But it doesn't feel that simple. It feels like even thinking about writing is too much to do once I get home. I had a whole blog post scribbled in my new blue Moleskine that I needed to post yesterday. Why? Because it was Groundhog's Day, and that post was inspired by ground hogs everywhere. And also it was inspired by winter. But what's the point in posting now? Everyone's already forgotten about Punxsutawney Phil anyway.

So I'm sitting on my bed in the middle of laundry cycles thinking about how I could be straightening my hair. Or cleaning. Or writing. Writing what? I wonder. I can't inspire myself. Not yet, not right now. I want to be able to. I want this blog to inspire me. (Though it has gotten me to write more than I have been writing at all lately). I want to figure out how to inspire myself.

Tell me; what inspires you?
<3

2 comments:

  1. You inspire me, Lozenger. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, writing a blog entry IS writing. (Even if it's not fiction, it's a step toward fiction because you're retraining yourself to sit still long enough to move words from brain to screen.) Also, great books inspire me. (Because I want to make something great like them.)
    <3

    ReplyDelete